Social Icons

Monday, May 13, 2013

Don't Hate on Kate!

It came as no surprise to me that Kate Upton was mentioned on the news this morning. She's at the top of her game as a supermodel, famous for her - erm, well-endowed - figure, flaunting it on the latest cover of Vogue.

What surprises me is the criticism she is getting.  It's not the kind of feedback one expects about a magazine cover - usually, people display opinions about the appeal of the cover itself (the outfit, the pose, the photoshopping, etc.). This time, Vogue is taking fierce blows from the model community for featuring Upton on the cover

"She looks like a squishy brick," complains online blogger Skinny Gurl.

This disappoints me beyond compare. I thought we were past this as a beauty community, building a support system for women of all sizes. Clearly the old catch phrase "thin is in" has yet to leave the size-zero model industry. I, for one, support Kate Upton and commend her for the dignified way in which she is handling the situation. 

"I really just live my life," she shared. "I love my body. It’s what God gave me! I feel confident with myself, and if that inspires other women to feel confident with their bodies, great. It’s kind of funny to think, 'Oh, wow, the news is talking about whether I’m fat or not.'”

News flash: Kate Upton is NOT FAT. Just because you're not a size zero doesn't mean that you're unhealthy. Everyone's body is unique. She loves to exercise and is a huge advocate for healthy eating, so clearly she is not the "lazy couch potato" that miss Skinny Gurl claims she is. If anything, she is healthier than the majority of the women in her industry. 

I'm going to take the high road here and try to understand this from the haters' point of view. Perhaps, they are so accustomed to living under the "thin" norm that anything else comes as a shock to them. I imagine that scene in Zoolander where a brainwashed Derek Zoolander is trained to respond violently upon hearing a specific song; These poor critics, brainwashed by the industry, see a curvy woman and are innately triggered to attack her!

I give props to Kate for staying true to herself. She has become a role model in her own right, setting a new standard for the model industry as a woman who embraces her natural figure. 

Comment with your reaction/opinion in the downbar. 

Confidently yours in body and mind,
RaiseYourGloss

2 comments :

  1. great article, Paige! You're very talented and I can definitely see you having a career in journalism. I thoroughly enjoy reading your articles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Paige! I totally agree, I enjoy looking at pics of her way more than other girls because of how natural and healthy she looks. She looks 10x better than any of the other models. And I think she also proves that men like natural women with a little meat on their bones. She is SMOKIN HOT and wouldn't seem near as hot to me if she were any skinnier.

    ReplyDelete